Thursday, June 08, 2006

Luck….


Do we create our own or is it bestowed upon us?

Last night the French football team played their last friendly match before the World Cup finals. During this match their forward Djibril Cisse broke his leg. Now, this is the same guy who broke his leg playing for Liverpool (see picture-breaking of leg) but recovered amazingly and played well at the end of last season to get a place in the France National squad. Now his World Cup dream is over. At least for this World Cup. Is he just unlucky? Is he one of the unluckiest footballers around?

As for me I believe I have ok luck. I’m not the luckiest person in the world but certainly not the unluckiest. My gut says I will never win the ‘big’ one, like the multi-million lottery (although I buy lottery tickets every month) but I do ‘win’ smaller things. Besides, you can’t dream of winning the lottery if you don’t buy the ticket. Being a person that’s loves to gamble I also believe that we create our own luck, whilst some form of gambling has nothing to do with luck at all, planning and careful calculation usually result in some element of luck being created.

Now, I actually don’t know why I’m rambling on like this. Maybe it’s because for once in a long-long while, I actually have no urgent work to do. This may not last more than today but you never know.

p/s: 2 days till the World Cup… and counting…