Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Worlds 'Greatest' Sports Event

With the World Cup only a few days away I guess its fitting of me to give my take on the worlds greatest soprts event. The term greatest is obviously up for debate with Olympians, as to some the Olympiads is the greatest sporting event. Anyway, here's my prediction for the upcoming World Cup.

Champions - I would love to say the Dutch will win but realisticaly, the Brazilians are a class above the rest. With a line-up of Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Adriano, Kaka, etc. they have one of the best lineups ever to compete in the World Cup.

Golden Boot - should the Dutch progress past the first round (they are in the toughest group with Argentina, Ivory Coast & Serbia Montenegro) then I expect Ruud Van Nistelrooij to grab the Golden Boot. Reason being, to prove to Sir Alex Ferguson that benching him at the end of last season and most likely losing him after the World Cup is a mistake. If not it will be a surprise striker such as Gilardino or Toni of Italy or even Crouch of England to grab the Golden Boot.

Surprise team - the suprise team of this World Cup will be either the Mexicans, Americans or Portugese. These teams will be "off the radar" of many analysts, journalists and even supporters. Japan & Korea, the surprise teams of the last World Cup will find it tough.

Dissapointing team - it will either be the Dutch or Argentinians from Group C as i forsee the Ivory Coast making it past the first round. This means one of the two teams mentioned to get sent home early. For me, I hope its Argentina.

Well thats my take.. it could be completely wrong but who cares....

Go Oranje!!